Are You Getting Your Fair Share of Relationship Property Upon a Break Up?

Thursday, April 06, 2017

The Property (Relationships) Act 1976 ("the Act") applies to marriages, civil unions and de facto relationships.  Generally under the Act, at the end of one of these relationships, the parties receive a 50:50 share of all the relationship property.  This usually includes the home, family chattels, and all other property acquired during the relationship.  However the Court does have the power to award a lump sum payment or order the transfer of relationship property from one party in the relationship to the other under Section 15 of the Act.

Section 15 applies when at the end of the relationship, the income and living standards of one party are likely to be significantly higher than the other party's because of the effects of the division of functions within the relationship while the parties were living together.

One of the most common situations where Section 15 can apply is when a wife has stayed at home to look after the children for 20 plus years, while the husband has been working and rising up the ranks in his job and acquiring experience in his profession.  When the parties separate, the husband usually has very high earning potential due to his accumulated work experience.  The wife, on the other hand, is usually limited in her employment options due to being out of the workforce for many years and is therefore likely to have significantly lower income and living standards compared to the husband once the parties split and divide the relationship property in half.  For example, one party gave up their career so the parties could have children and the other party could reach their full potential.

In such cases, the Courts have used Section 15 as a tool for compensation for the loss of income and living standards due to this division of functions.

Relationship property is a complicated issue and can also be an intense and emotional time for all parties involved.  If you have any questions about relationship property, want to know what your fair share is and what you can do about it, please contact Peter Fuscic on (09) 306 6746 ( from our Auckland City Office.


This article is published for general information purposes only.  Legal content in this article is necessarily of a general nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice.  If you require specific legal advice in respect of any legal issue, you should always engage a lawyer to provide that advice.   

Recent Posts


Clayton case White v White Wills Act 2007 Section 11 Interpretation Act 1999 Section 29 Vessel Sale and Purchase Seperation Ship Document Disclosure Wilson v Donnellan Rest Home Subsidies Insurance Privacy Act 1993 Changes Ministry of Social Development Physical abuse Personal Albany Office Interpretation Act 1999 Will Eviction Living standards SN v MN [2017] NZCA 289 Lump sum Trusts Due Diligence Domestic Violence Act 1995 Commercial Property Family Protection Act 1955 Grey Power Economic disadvantage KiwiSaver Charities Companies Act 1993 Twelve years Invalid wills Auckland Office Re Estate of Campbell Employment Break up Domestic violence Marriage Constructive trusts Resident Visa Personal Properties and Securities Act 1999 Frustration Division of Functions Family Trusts Case Study Expression of interest Acknowledgment Landlord Verbal abuse Financial Advisers Act 2008 Partnership based work visa Section 15A Testamentary writing Protection Order Violence Asset Protection Resident Immigration New Zealand Trust Confidentiality Contract Law Executors duty Partner of resident Erceg v Erceg Broadbent v Ministry of Social Development Tamarapa v Byerley Trust busting Residential Acknowledgment of Debt Undue influence Trusts Bill Income Valid wills Tenant Validity of Wills Intellectual Property Commercial Law Claims against estates Charity begins at home Company Law Ministry Zero Hour Contracts Blackwell v Hollings Interest Recovery of money Terms of Trade Amundson v Raos Civil union Part payment Work and Income Trust Check Up SMC Sale of Goods Unfair contract terms Creating Trusts Psychological abuse Six years Health and Safety Reform Bill Duress Immigration Wills Legislation update Limitation Act 1950 Lease Titles Wills Act 2007 Shareholders' Agreement Mortgagor Lease Visa application Loss of income Vessel survey Character requirements Hawkes Bay Trustee Company Limited v Judd Trustee Duties Subsidies Consumer credit contracts Body Corporate Reckless Trading Mortgage Fair share Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 (FMCA) Repayment Litigation Offending ''Best Endeavours'' Skilled migrant Beneficiary Rights Wills Act 2007 Section 8 De facto Vessel surveyor Mortgagee Limitation period Testamentary freedom Protector Testamentary Promises Business Murrell v Hamilton Financial services provider (FSP) Administrators duty Will that do Testamentary capacity Gifting Wills Act 2007 Section 14 WINZ Commercial Financial products Re Estate of Feron Financial services Property (Relationships) Act 1976 Property Skilled migrant points Maritime Law Section 15 Interpretation of documents Temper Pattern of offending Elder Law Section 182 Family Proceedings Act 1980 Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act 2003 (CCCFA) Limitation Act 2010 Deceased's wishes Relationship Property Lankow v Rose Estate Administration Limitation defence Directors' Duties Fair Trading Act 1986 Ilott v Mitson 2017 UKSC 17 Principal Compensation Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017 Tenants Charity Anti-money laundering (AML) Gifts Abuse